Tuesday, February 13, 2007

To Keep Me Comin' Back To You



To Keep Me Comin' Back To You.mp3

Ok. This song was really my goal for this month, a love song to add to the ten others I've written my wife since we first were engaged.

One song a year to be delivered on or before Valentine's Day.

I think THIS was actually the first songwriting challenge, self-induced, that gave me a set time a song needed to be finished.

I am going to post the original version that I was going to settle on...until several newer ideas started flowing. I do this partially for the sake of the songwriting process (and what people go through to get to a more "finished" song) and partially for the history of it. I don't hate this version, but it doesn't feel as interesting as my first version.

To Keep Me Comin' Back To You
words and music by Steven Wesley Guiles

verse
I was looking out the window, I could not believe me eyes
You were walking rather slowly darlin', I was hypnotized

I am trying to remember when I last looked deep at you
I hope that you will pardon all this staring at my shoes


chorus
Daylight, pouring through the window of my
Old mind, changing because love has found a
Gold mine, filled up with the days and hours
You don't need a dozen flowers and I don't need no superpowers
To keep me comin' back to you


verse
I was looking out the window, I could not believe me eyes
You were walking rather slowly darlin', I was hypnotized

I am trying to remember when I last looked deep at you
I hope that you will pardon all this staring at my shoes


chorus
Daylight, pouring through the window of my
Old mind, changing because love has found a
Gold mine, filled up with the days and hours
I don't need no superpowers
To keep me comin' back to you


bridge
Don't look back now with regret
Thank you for the hardship, thank you for the tears
Thank you for the blessing, thank you for the years
Thank you for the break down, thank you for the rough patch,
Thank you for the bleeding, thank you for the relapse
Thank you for the trials, thank you for the tribulations
Thank you for the nosebleeds, thank you for the fascination,
Thank you for the promise, the promise, the promise...of you


chorus
Daylight, pouring through the window of my
Old mind, changing because love has found a
Gold mine, filled up with the days and hours
I don't need no superpowers
To keep me comin' back to you
To keep me comin' back to you


verse (reprise)
I was looking out the window, I could not believe my eyes.

To Keep Me Comin' Back To You.mp3

Here is an mp3 of the original idea that I was going to go with until another idea struck me:

To Keep Me Comin' Back To You - original demo

5 comments:

John Natiw said...

Hey Steve, congratulations on your new song! I was wondering who would be the first to contribute a keyboard based song. I've been messing around with a few ideas on the keys myself.

These are really great lyrics. I'll listen a few more times and come back in with more to say about this one.

John

John Natiw said...

Have listened to the keeper version a few times now and the first demo once (I'm "working" from home today... supposed to get tons of snow today).

I'm glad you did the re-write. Not that the original demo is bad or anything, I just think the second attempt is much more original.

This song is very, kind of.... '60's-ish... or early 70's. Reminds me of a few songs from that time, but I can't put my finger on them at the moment.

Also pretty rare is using the same lyrics for both verses. I think it works, but I'd like to have heard another set of lyrics just for comparison.

I love when the chorus comes in after the bridge. The big dynamic change and all the vocals. Very cool.

All in all, this is a really good song Steve. Thanks for writing and sharing it!

John

sg said...

I will probably come up with another verse, but because of a very real timeline (TOMORROW!) I had to "git 'er done". I know Joy will appreciate the lyrics, but she's way more a sucker for the overall mood/feel of the song. If I can get sometime without being a band husband/father, I'm going to do a little remixing and rewriting (verse 2).

Liza said...

wow, just really giving this one a good listen- I love the instrumentation. when the first little synth sounds come in, it's very much like the sunlight coming in that you are singing about. I imagine laying on a couch staring at a shaft of light, little dust motes floating about... very peaceful.

I also really like what happens with the melody in the final notes of the first verse... very coldplay (one of my faves).

good on ya, swg!

sg said...

coldplay. yeah. i'm a big, big fan (them and u2). i'm sure i've ripped off tons of their stuff by accident (i had the "a rush of blood to the head" songbook sitting in front of the piano--not that I could actually PLAY any of that, but I heard it in my head as I pounded the repeating chords. i LOVED how chris martin used the piano on that record...almost like a percussion instrument at times).

but i digress. i was really excited when i figured out that simple little keyboard riff (i have a friends cheezy 80s Casio keyboard, and it is super cool).

now i really digress.

peace,
swg