Saturday, February 10, 2007

Detours to the Grave



Sing Like the Angels.mp3

The other day I was working but I happened to have an extra hour between appointments. There was construction on the freeway onramp and the detour took me past a cemetery. Since I had extra time and my guitar in the back seat of my car I decided to pull into the cemetery and try my hand at songwriting beneath the trees and sun… and next to some graves.

The headstone on the grave that I sat by was for a lady who was born in 1934. It also had an inscription that read, “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith”.

I started to wonder what this woman’s life was about and if she got to do all the things that she dreamed of doing as a little girl.

The lyrics feel more Nashville then LA.

Sing Like the Angels
words and music by Eric Shouse

I see her lying there so peacefully
I can hear her words ring out from yesterday
When she was a little girl, they all heard her say


“I want to sing like the angels sing
When they hear me, I hope they forget everything
I want to sing like the angels sing
O Halleluiah! Sing like the angels…”


Days don’t stop, and faces age
She took on children, but never took the stage
She'd hold her babies as they'd close their eyes
As she rocked them they’d hear her sigh, …

“I hope you sing like the angels sing
When they hear you, I hope they forget everything
I hope you sing like the angels sing
O Halleluiah! Sing like the angels…”


Family gathered around, the news was grim
They all held hands and sang a hymn
She opened up her eyes to see them there
And whispered with a smile this simple prayer,


“I’m gonna sing like the angels sing
When they hear me I hope they forget everything
I’m gonna sing like the angels sing
O Halleluiah! Sing like the angels…”


Halleluiah! Sing with the angels

Sing Like the Angels.mp3

-Thanks to Rosemary Ramos (1934-2002)

3 comments:

sg said...

Beautiful lyric, Eric. I like the progression of the story. (I already liked it before I got to hear the melody...and I still liked it after hearing the melody).

:)

Nice production too! I heard the sweet octave vocal, sweet and low.

John Natiw said...

Like this one muchly Eric. Nice first offering to the work here.

I really like the progression of the story too. I'm always impressed when someone can use the same chorus with three different perspectives within a story.

The double tracked vocals and shaker are a nice touch to bring about the climax near the end of the song.

Well done! Glad to have you here.
John

John Natiw said...

Was just listening back to some of the songs from this month and had to comment again on this one. Very nice Eric. I'd like to hear this one after you've performed it a couple dozen times to hear how it matures.

Keep it up bro,
J