Saturday, February 3, 2007

It's So Embarrassing It Almost Hurts, But...


...I think I might post it.

Post what you might ask?

"We still haven't seen that song you were working on at 1 in the morning?"
"Yeah, Steve, what gives?!"

Well, yesterday I wrote a song, at school, in less than 27 minutes. In fairness I wrote the lyrics in 2nd period under the direction of my students who were demanding a second song. (The first song was "The Chicken Song", now a Mr. Guiles classic that has been anthologized by my students).

The title? Don't Be Hatin'.mp3, my foray into rap/hip hop that is sure to bring me some kind of award. Most Ridiculous Rap Ever Made or Why Most White Guys Aren't Allowed To Rap Unless They're Eminem.

It was my last day with one of my classes (the semester change) and they basically wanted to have a party. So, I decided to redirect that energy into music, which they were all excited to do.

One of my kids is always beating out hip hop beats on his desk, so I had him step up to the mic (a USB mic that I keep in my school bag for just such occasions) and make a beat. The class was totally into it. His first beat, unfortunately, was almost impossible to rap over because the timing was some sort of bizarre jazz thing. We did it again and I pounded it out with him to keep it in time. After we laid the beat I just picked up the mic and attempted to do some of the lyrics kids and I had developed a couple hours earlier.

This song has shoutouts, at least one beat box, and the lyrical sense of a junior higher.

My first try was pretty bad, so I did it once more. The attempt you hear is STILL pretty bad, but I've decided that I'm not afraid to look like a total dork, so here goes.

Don't Be Hatin'.mp3

1 comment:

John Natiw said...

LOL...

Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about G-Money!

Seriously, this is what this blog should be about. Just trying stuff and having fun in the process. One thing I hadn't thought of was this idea of involving others in the fun.

I think this little recording will take on a great deal more meaning for you as the years roll by Steve.

Way to go G-Unit!

Word,
J