Saturday, February 3, 2007

Follow Up To 1:29 AM: I've Got News For You


I've Got News For You.mp3

If you were to take this song and "Don't Be Hatin'" in a row, they should cancel each other out and ruin any credibility I have as a serious songwriter.

:)

Here's my serious song. I'm really excited about the end because I created a vocal effect that I have always loved, but rarely been able to pull off because of my limited range. I also like the chorus that came to me last night as a result of "just doing it".


I've Got News For You
words and music by Steven Wesley Guiles

I've got news for you, I've got news for you
I've got words of inspiration, hope and blues for you
I've got news for you, I've got super glue
If you put it all together there's a clue for you

Words are never enough
Too weak or too tough to be helpful but
Right now what can I do
I'm doing the best that I can

I've got news for you, brand new shoes for you
I've got pent up expectations busting through to you
I've got news for you, not empty platitudes
I've got words of pain and worth that might ring true to you

Words are never enough
Too weak or too tough to be helpful but
Right now what can I do
I'm doing the best that I can (2x)

You are sad, I know that
Maybe mad, probably my fault
Your heart's a stone, so far from home
You wail and moan, but would you block me out?
Would you block me out? Block me out, block me out

Words are never enough
Too weak or too tough to be helpful but
Right now what can I do
I'm doing the best that I can (2x)

I've got news for you, I've got news for you
I'm gonna love you even if it means I'm losing you


I've Got News For You.mp3

5 comments:

John Natiw said...

Ok, this one saved your cred....

j/k... ;o)

I like this one Steve. The bridge "you are sad, I know that" is cool. The contrast between that and the chorus is sweet. And then bringing it down again at the end. Nice.

Plus, any songwriter that can work in the phrase "empty platitudes" rules in my book.

J

sg said...

Thanks. I actually had a different bridge, but it sounded so similar to the chorus that I had to ditch it for something that provided more contrast.

I wasn't super happy with the lyric...but sometime it just needs to be very simple and not so high-brow...I guess that would assume that ANYTHING I write IS highbrow.

:)

John Natiw said...

yeah, I get that. In AWNISL, I was not real happy with the bridge because the strumming pattern was the same as the rest of the song and the lyrics were some that I just babbled into the mic one night. But... as you say, I relied on the change in key to provide the contrast and got used to the lyrics. They don't rhyme, but they say pretty much exactly what I wanted to say.

And highbrow is definitely out. ;o)
J

John Natiw said...

btw.... was the vocal effect you were talking about double tracking in octave that I heard? I can understand why that'd be hard with limited range (like mine). Sounds great though. The high part has a lot of energy to it. Like.. almost straining, but holding it together.

Or you could've meant something completely different.....
J

sg said...

No, that's what I was talking about. Instead of doubling the vocal with the exact same note, I doubled it an octave higher.

What you hear is a combo of the "screaming voice" (the upper octave--yeah, it's pretty forced but it's perfect for the rock and roll), an octave lower than that (close to the mic) and then I did a whisper-y falsetto really close to the mic that doubled the higher octave, but with a different sound.

that resulted in the end sound.

it reminds me of some cool moment in a u2 song or maybe something from The Verve.