Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Our Year

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Our Year.mp3

This is the current view of my backyard. Only add about 4 inches, maybe. No work today! So I thought I'd post a song.

Our Year
words and music by Liza Swart

Chasing down these miles of endless highway
The darkness of the road is on my mind
You never were the kind to see it my way
Just bind it up and keep it all inside

But it's almost here
This will be our year

I suffer from no lack of inhibition
Would you see the meaning of my words
There's nothing so beyond our definition
After all the sky was made for birds

And if you learn to fly
Love, you know, I'm coming right behind

Just a little bit
Just a little bit of you
Just a little bit
Oh love, you know we'll see it through
Just a little bit
Just a little bit of you
Just a little bit
Oh love, it's all that I can do

Picking up the threads of conversation
You know I'm always sleeping when you call
Understanding little of our nation
We conjecture when the empire will fall

But you know my mind
That's the end of sleep I will see tonight

Just a little bit
Just a little bit of you
Just a little bit
Oh love, you know we'll see it through
Just a little bit
Just a little bit of you
Just a little bit
It's all that I can do


Yes, this is the one lacking a bridge- I kind of fudge it a little with that last transition between the choruses. It also really needs some backing keys, but as I'm horrible/have no way to record them, it doesn't get any. Opinions?

Our Year.mp3

5 comments:

sg said...

Holy ass-kickin' harmonized guitar solos, Batman!!

Liza, you had me from the opening chord strum! Such great energy. Did you double the rhythm guitar track or just use an Audacity effect?

I also really liked the melody of the verses (the last note is the kicker).

Joy and I were singing harmonies along with you. :)

Was this a "come quickly" song or did it evolve or time?

Inquiring minds wanna know.

sg said...

BTW-

This is my favorite lyric:

I suffer from no lack of inhibition
Would you see the meaning of my words
There's nothing so beyond our definition
After all the sky was made for birds

Liza said...

haha I'm glad you liked the solos- I'm always really nervous when I try that sort of thing out. I wished so much that I had some keys instead... but blah blah I posted about that already. I doubled the guitar in a second key- I've been listening to Patty Griffin a lot lately so I kind of took the strum pattern/feel from her for this one. A little tip of the hat to one of the greatest out there, as it were.

This song, like most of my "better" pieces (as I feel about them) came in about 20 minutes, everything all at once. I know when it comes that fast that I write it right the first time.

and thanks for your kind compliments. You and Joy are welcome to sing harmony with me anytime. :)

John Natiw said...

Finally listening to this one Liza. Wow. I'm with Steve on this. You had me at :01!

Great harmonies on the vocals and the guitar work makes the song even more interesting.

And it's never a bad thing to listen to Miss Patty to gain some additional inspiration. You might not realize this, but some of us are doing the same thing with your music now.

Peace,
J

Liza said...

I'm totally blushing.

thank you.