Thursday, February 1, 2007

The Mississippi Saxophone


Recently I've been thinking about getting a harmonica. After the Folk Festival I just HAD to get one. Seemed like many of the performers there had the ability to play one. Plus, being able to play guitar or piano, sing and play a harmonica is the very definition of cool IMHO. So, off to the music shop I went.

Turns out there are lots and lots of options when it comes to getting one of these buggers. After perusing the various harps, I settled on a Hohner Blues Harp (key of G). At the risk of overdoing my "cool", I also picked up a harmonica harness (gotta play my six string too, yo). I have no delusions of becoming an expert player, but I'd like to perform various "solos" over some of my songs when playing by myself. I think it'd add an interesting layer to the music. I love it when a performer breaks out with the harness and lays into their harmonica during a song.

I've come across a few helpful web sites thus far and will be posting them to this site as I have opportunity. In the meantime, I'm off to practice my new toy. Oh, and write a couple songs this month.

Maybe a harmonica will turn up in my next offering here on the site. If it does, just humor me, 'k?

THE OFFICIAL LIST OF HARMONICA LINKS
HarmonicaLessons.com
Hohner USA
Harmonica.com
The Diatonic Harmonica Reference

2 comments:

sg said...

I've wanted to buy one of those harmonica holders for a long time. I have two harmonicas that I enjoy picking up every know and then. In fact, I picked up my harmonica this Monday and started wondering how I could write an entire song just using the harmonica as my backing instrument (obviously, this wouldn't necessarily work well live).

I wanted to use the harmonica to create "chord pads" to sing over.

I have a friend, John R. Williamson who is amazing with harmonica (he has tons of 'em in many different keys and styles) and he plays 'em like Bob Dylan.

John Natiw said...

Well, I picked up three more. Got the C, A & D harps tonight.

If I may make a suggestion on the harness. The one I got is the big (wide) Hohner. It will fit a chromatic harp. They make a harness that is made for a 10 hole. The harness itself is wide, but the spring thingie narrows to fit the 10 hole. This one works ok, but I'll bet the other one works even better.


I'm having a blast messing around with them. I sat here quite a bit tonight just playing in the key of G playing along with my guitar. Big fun!