Saturday, February 17, 2007

Songwriting Ideas: What's The Big Idea?


Photo by Quas
I was sitting in a teaching seminar and I found that even there I could find ideas for writing songs. We were looking at the big ideas that drive our lesson plans and I found a list of themes that I thought might spur on songwriting ideas.

Acceptance
Adaptation
Balance
Beauty
Change
Chaos
Choice
Communication
Community
Conflict
Connection
Courage
Cycles
Dignity
Civersity
Energy
Equality
Evil
Ethics
Excellence
Exploration
Family
Force
Form
Freedom
Friendship
Future
Geography
Happiness
Harmony
Honor
Identity
Individuality
Integrity
Journey
Law
Leadership
Liberty
Matter
Migration
Motivation

(there were more but I didn't have time to copy them all down).

Any more that you can think of?

1 comment:

John Natiw said...

That's cool Steve. A couple years ago I bought a book called Tunesmith by Jimmy Webb. He talks quite a bit about inspiration and song ideas (as well as in depth analysis of songwriting through the years). I plan on posting a thread about this book (and other songwriting books) soon. I like your list and would like to see others' ideas.
John