Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Gene Gorski


Sugarloaf, Pennsylvania


BIO
I am a family doctor in a small town near the Poconos in Pennsylvania. I grew up here, rolled about 3 miles from my parent’s house and opened up an office in my house and have been here practicing for about 25 years.

I do family medicine with a master’s in herbal medicine and I am trained in age management medicine. I got in to that mostly for myself. I am probably the only person who nearly died of cholera in Northeastern Pennsylvania. I got that a few years ago from eating raw oysters and then that planted blood clots through my lungs and it was nearly curtains.

So after that I re-entered my childhood and went back to do the things I always wanted to do. Guitar. Guitar. Guitar. So it took years but I could finally not suck anymore. But I could never play a song by someone else and have it sound like it was supposed to. I like to call it a fatal case of white man rhythym and 5 finger epilepsy.

So I just played around and made nice sounds. That lead to melodies. Melodies without words don’t seem to mean much so then I needed words. I started writing and did a terrible job at it. So, being a doctor, I am good at going to school. Enter Berklee School of Music Online Courses. Great site and I took a bunch of classes. Song writing, melody, composition, theory. It all really helped.

So now I was writing and I needed to be able to record this stuff. So I put a studio in my house. I will cover the gear later. Took some more classes on recording and mastering and now I spend free time in there. It is my Inner Sanctum.

I have been writing for a few years and have about a hundred songs. I recorded two albums in the past few years. I self produced them and then made a thousand of them and sold them totally for charity. I was able to raise enough money to buy some prosthetic arms and legs for some kids in Ecuador and flew one up to FLA for surgery. Then the second one was used to make money for a local charity that grants wishes to th elderly in our community. I did this so that I could do something with my music and not feel like a prostitute selling the stuff. Everybody won.

Influences?

John Hiatt, Elvis Costello, Jim Steinman and the master, the teacher the seer… Warren Zevon. Warren wrote the soundtrack to my life. He also has my favorite quote, “My life is like the best omelet you can make with a chainsaw.

Goals

I want to win a Grammy for songwriting.

Equipment

Way to much

Roland VS2400 16 track DAW
An assortment of about 18 guitars. My favorites are ones that I have bought from Jon Kammerer. He is a luthier from Iowa and has an incredible talent. His guitars are the best and of the ones that I have my favorites are a strat-like guitar and what Jon calls a stage acoustic that is hard to make feed back but feeds back like an electric. What a kick to play

Amps, I have two that I love. One is a Carr Mercury. It is all of 8 watts and can be decreased to 1/20 of a watt. Amazing tone and in my opinion it is what Stevie Ray plays in heaven. The other is a Mesa Boogie 5/25 Express. Many tones and extremely big sound in a small unit. Love them both

For playing out I use a Bose PAS system and I also think that it is amazing for live tone and playing out.

I have an assortment of Fulltone pedals and one of their tube tape echoes. They are also the best I have ever heard.

My only wish is that I played well enough to deserve this stuff.

But I am still trying.

Docgoose

member since - [09.06.07]

No comments: