Monday, December 25, 2006

Steven Wesley Guiles


San Dimas, California

LINKS

BIO
The first time I remember caring about music was listening to Simon and Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Troubled Water" album. Several years later I played my first musical instrument: the harmonica. I wanted to play in the worship band with my church, which my youth leader agreed to. I found out later that playing harmonica along with drums and amplified instruments was akin to being sent out into left field in a baseball game.

I still liked it. Next the drummer taught me a basic drum beat. Finally I found a little abandoned guitar in my youth pastor's office. That guitar has been the source of many songs over the years (and still is).

My first true songs came out of worship and then heartache during my college years. The woman who first truly broke my heart also married me. Before I wrote my own songs I played guitar in a band called The Vegas Nerve.

Shortly after my first heart breaking, I had enough material to be in a band as a singer. A good thirteen years later I am still writing and recording music with Pushtart Wagon, but my heart is being broken for different reasons.

Somewhere after getting married my wife and I also recorded several albums. The last one, a Christmas cd, was something we were both particularly happy with. We were inspired by the likes of Over the Rhine and Innocence Mission and came out with something that we thought was beautiful.

My goal is to become a better and more transparent songwriter. I hope to touch something in other people that breaks their hearts, inspires them, and brings them hope. Here's to heartbreak!

RECORDING
I worked my way up from a simple Fostex 4 track, to a VS880, to a VS1680, to my current Windows XP based ProTools Mpowered.
I have two SM 57s, an SM 58, and a pair of Oktava MK 219s.

I've actually written some of my best songs using a Radioshack hand-held cassette recorder. Now I like to use Audacity whenever I can because it's easy to make my ideas into Mp3s.

INSTRUMENTS
I have a set of old drums that were burned in a fire but seem to sound just fine, an old Yamaha guitar (pictured in bio section), a Taylor 410, a Fender strat, and a 1972 Tele re-issue.

member since - [12.21.06]

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I like the creativity of your lyric writing in the number song