Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Jason Gaylor


Springfield, Missouri

LINKS

BIO
I have been a songwriter for about twelve years. During that time I developed my graphic design skills making posters, CD packaging, and other propaganda for my own band and other various freelance clients. After various odd jobs through the years including a car wash, TGI Fridays, a music store, telemarketing, Hotels.com, and a gas station clerk, I'm now partners in a boutique design agency Blacksuits Creative in Springfield, Missouri, where I'm the Creative Director for Interactive Design. I'm also the owner of designfruit.com—a site primarily devoted to photoshop brushes and other resources for designers.

I started writing songs at about 17 years of age when I thought I was Eddie Vedder. After a very short time I began to do my own thing and develop my own style. I formed a band (Fern), dropped out of college, and hit the road. Fern released three albums and I have thirty or so unreleased songs as a solo artist. My biggest claim to fame is a tour with the Goo Goo Dolls during the seven years of Fern's existence.


I'm currently neck deep in Songpull—a project that several of my friends started in early 2006 as an outlet for our abandoned songwriting. Since then we have developed an online presence at songpull.com. The site currently showcases songwriters, at Songpull events performing original material on video.

I founded songfruit.com as an extention of designfruit.com to offer me a place to blog about music and connect with anyone interested in hearing my new material. I'm now part of the Songwriting Apples blog as a contributor and censored author.


I got back into songwriting in 2006 after a year-and-a-half mutual break from the music industry beast thanks to Songpull. The idea alone has nourished my writing into a realness that I was trying so hard to get to while writing and performing with Fern. I'm writing from a completely different perspective now—more from experience, more from the heart. My songwriting is much less filtered. I'm now writing for my family, myself, my friends and my fans, and not for the record labels. I finally feel free from the trap that many writers get into when spending time focusing on showcasing for record executives and writing the next big hit. I have fun with writing now, and I'm not afraid to write cheesy songs when appropriate.

RECORDING
I'm currently using Apple’s Logic Pro on a Power Mac G5. I usally use one AKG C3000B condenser mike and the MOTU 828mkII. For a guitar I use the same $600 Washburn acoustic I've had since I was 17, it has an unfinished front and a nice deep sound. I run through a song with this set up until its decent enough to keep. I figure I can spend time in the studio later and do a fully produced version, so I don't spend any time layering or overdubbing on the demos. I think it adds an intimate feel to my recordings when I don't get the vocals or guitars perfect.

INSTRUMENTS
See Recording.

member since - [01.30.07]

No comments: