Sunday, December 24, 2006

Struggling with a new one

Ok, I wasn't going to post anything about this one until it was done. But...

I've got two pretty good stanzas of lyrics (I think). Also have some nice music to go with. It's a bit harder to write when the music comes first, but I usually just sit and hum until I find a melody. Then the words come. I know this is kind of a bass-ackwards way of writing, but I've done a few really nice songs over the years this way.

Anyway... here's what I have. Maybe the evolution of this song will be inspiring to others here. Maybe not.

Verse 1
Sitting in a seaside bar right next to Mexico
Pretty girl pulls up and smiles and says to me
"I can tell your future for a fifty dollar bill
or I can make you smile right now for free"

All the people that we meet
River flowing endlessly

Verse 2
Sixteen degrees and no one else is on the road
drifter up ahead, I slow and let him in (he said)
"I could tell you stories that would make you laugh for hours
but hell if I remember where I've been"

All these mem'ries that we keep
River flowing endlessly

4 comments:

sg said...

I think those verses AND the prechoruses work fine together. It's all creativity. I say let if all flow out (no lyrical pun intended) and THEN worry about editing and fitting together. Just throw a couple of parts together and then see how you feel about it.

I have a few of my favorite songs that were frankensteined from two or three other songs I sort of liked...

John Natiw said...

Cool Steve. Thanks for the comment. That was the direction I was leaning. I've played it a bunch more lately and think I'm going to just let this one live a bit. See what happens.
Thanks again,
J

Liza said...

I like it, but I love the second verse especially. I wanna see where this ends up.

John Natiw said...

Thanks Liza. As the above post suggests, I've finished it (at least the "bones" of the song). I'll have an mp3 up soon.
Thanks again,
J