Friday, December 22, 2006

Better Days a la Liza

hmm I'm gonna say this one was finished on the 19th? whatever date was Tuesday. this is my pre-contest warm up. please scoot on over here if you like and give a listen. I just posted it originally as a very rough, guitar and vocal take, but eventually trashed that baby and made another. Finding the balance between just the right amount of BGVs and not enough is sometimes hard for me... maybe you apples can help a girl out.

Without further ado, a simple little ditty, I present...

BETTER DAYS.mp3 - [12.24.06]

Door bell rings in the morning-- I've seen better days
Your face there on the landing, we both could use some grace
Darlin' please, all I'm askin' is for a bit of space
'Fore this day is through... and I'll come back for you

Cell phone rings at the bus stop-- your voice on the line
Love you sound much more, much more composed than I
I'm not through yet, I just need some precious time
This much is true... I'll come back to you

And if I go, darlin' know, it's the first time- not the last.
And if I go, darlin' know, I'm coming back, coming back to you.

Church bells ring in the city, worker bees will rest
I head home in the sunset, tired and overdressed
One thing left in the twilight- I'll give to you my best
This I will do... love, I'm coming home to you

And if I go, darlin' know, it's the first time, not the last.
And if I go, darlin' know, I'm coming back, coming back to you.
Coming back- it's true.
Oh love, how could I leave you?

And if I go, darlin' know, it's the first time, not the last.
And if I go, darlin' know, I'm coming back, coming back--
I've seen better days.


(also a short disclaimer- although I didn't intend to steal the title of this song from Pete Murray, I'll give kudos where kudos are due... czech his "Better Days" out if you can.)

4 comments:

John Natiw said...

Nice Liza. I've only read the lyrics as of right now, but the first few lines are great. Openings are so important in making song/poetry memorable. I like the first two lines. I was surprised to see you use grace again in the third line, but I'd have to go hear you sing the song/melody/lyrics to see how it flows.

Keep it going Liza,
J

John Natiw said...

Hey Liza,
I've listened a few times now and the thing that sticks out to me is the guitar and the whispering BGV's. Very cool. It's got a real enticing sound to it. The lyrics work great too.

Another thing I'm noticing is that I like this song more the deeper it gets into the song. I really feel you strongly from about the halfway point on.

Keep up the great work,
J

Liza said...

haha well it's supposed to be "space" not "grace" in the 3rd line... I'm such a dolt. that's why it looks awkward. hmm let's just fixy fixeroo that shall we??

John Natiw said...

Ahh.... that makes sense. And remember, you're not a dolt. Dolts can't type or write songs! ;o)
I like this one more and more as I listen to it, btw. I know I said it before, but the last half really gets me.
J