Tuesday, August 21, 2007

A Response to Steve's Summer Goals

The other day I was reading Steve's Summer Goals and went to leave a comment. I wrote this huge rambling thing, but the site booted it before I could post it. Started to leave a comment again tonight and thought maybe I'd do it this way instead. Too much to say. Anyhoo... You/I/we should do this Steve! I know I've been talking about getting an EP/CD done for months.

As far as how to choose what to record, a friend suggested that I record one song at a time in the studio. Just pick one and go do it. Spend a half or whole day getting it done. First, it's easier to do it that way, and, second, it's more fiscally responsible. Eventually you end up with a bunch of recorded product that you can then decide what to do with.

With me, I sometimes think I "don't know how to play" these songs well enough to record in a studio yet. The only way I know to get through this is to play these suckers out. A lot. There are a few benefits to this approach. First, you get really good (proficient) at the tunes and, therefore, save money in the studio. Second, I think there is process of "finishing" that takes place. Listen to your first recording of a song and compare it to a recording of it after you've played it out for a year. It's different. The singing. The guitar/piano. It's closer to being "finished". Third, you get a sense of which songs folks really like (see previous paragraph). And, lastly, you're automatically building up a fan base who will, theoretically at least, buy the CD's you're about to make!

Anyhoo.... I've been thinking that I have enough songs to record. I've played out a few over the past year and have a couple new ones I'll debut in the next month or so. Maybe by the first of the year I'll have accomplished all the stuff I talked about above and be ready to start knocking these things out one by one. Wouldn't it be cool to have a nice CD to sell at gigs by spring-time? Sure it would!

Just went through my song binder and counted 25 songs that I know of that I've written since about November of 2004. Don't think I would have EVER had that many if it weren't for this blog. Thanks for the motivation everyone!

For the record (haha), here are the songs I'm thinking of recording (in approximate order I'd want to record them):
  1. This Time (2006)
  2. Jesus and John Lennon (2007)
  3. Tiny Footprints (2007)
  4. An untitled instrumental (2006?)
  5. It's About Time (2007 & not coincidentally the working title of my future CD)
  6. An Irish Love Song (2004)
  7. That Water Came (2007)
  8. Rivers (2007)
  9. Stop the Rain (2006)
  10. All We Need is Some Love (2007 and this one is gonna need some serious work... i.e. layers of sound).
  11. One Cut Too Deep (2005, a song that has huge potential if I'll only go back and work on it and play it out a few times... great lyrics)
So there it is. Looks like I've got the makings of a CD after all! How about you Steve? Liza? Eric? Whatcha got?
J

No comments: