Friday, August 3, 2007

I Sure Didn't Invent It




Last summer I took a trip to Maui. I had 5 days there which was just enough time to catch up on sleep from all the extra work I did to get ready to take a few days off. But, needless to say, it was still great.

The best part about getting away is the clarity that comes when your mind gets to think about something new.

One of the things that I was thinking about was how the 'hula' started. Each movement is supposed to tell part of a story... Which reminds me of a story... A few years ago I had the priviledge of going to South Africa (stay with me here). One morning the group that I was with got up before dawn to go on a Safari ride through the Hluhluwe-Umfolozi Park animal reserve (one of the coolest things I think I may ever do).

As I walked behind the group on the way to meet our guide, the sound was incredible. It was so loud. The insects and birds were all busy doing whatever they do and the sun was just starting to peek over the horizon. After a few moments I started to notice all the intricate rhythms and harmonies that were being produced by all these creatures. My theory is that this is why Africa is the birthplace of so much music... That's right. I said it. It's the birds' fault.

Here is a song that I wrote in response to my thoughts on all this in Hawaii last year. It was written for little kids (like kindergarten and under). I sometimes lead singing for the kids at my church and remembered my favorite kids' songs as I wrote this. Not a musical masterpiece, but the kids sure like it.

This is my take on how the rest of creation worships its Creator... And by the way, to answer your question, of course there are hand motions to the whole song. :)

The Birds Taught Me to Sing mp3

I am learning every day, to see things in a brand new way
The Lord has opened up my eyes to see creation's praise

And the birds taught me to sing
The waves taught me to dance
You teach me to love, you teach me to love, love, love

Every creature, everything has a unique song to sing
And we could learn a thing or two by watching what they do

And the birds...

The frogs taught me to hop, hop, hop
And the rooster taught me to crow
And the parrot taught me to share it with everyone I know

The sheep taught me to 'bah' (BAH)
And the monkey taught me to climb a tree
And the crocodile taught me to smile for everyone to see

The birds...

The fish taught me to swim
And the skunk taught me to be proud of who I am
And the puppy taught me I'm lucky to be someone's best friend

And the birds...

... you taught me to love, you taught me to love, love, love

2 comments:

sg said...

A SOooooOOoOOOOOOnNNNNNNNGGGGG!!!!!!

Cool. Sweet calypso-esque groove. My kids like it!

John Natiw said...

Eric, the first few beats of this tune got my toes tappin'. I dig it! I'm hearing some additional layers for this, but I can't put my finger on it at the moment.

HAHAHAHA..... the sound "effects" are hilarious.

Very creative myman!
J