Sunday, January 21, 2007

Time Is Tickin': Let's Be Creative!




So, we've got ten days left in our first month.
How's everybody doing?


I thought we should at least have a weekly "post in" or "comment in" or "posted therapy session regarding songwriting".

Liza, how's that new song coming? John, did you have another one on the burner?

I also have an idea, why don't we post a few "do-able" song excercises or challenges with a specific theme/idea/subject so that we're not just working from the completely blank page.

Here are some ideas from the top of the head:

-write a commercial jingle
-write a kid's song about something silly
-take a famous poem (or any poem) and put it to music
-write a song using only two chords
-write a song consisting only of verses
-write a song about an inanimate object
-write a song from a character's point of view (not your own)
-write a song based on a book you've read
-write a song based on a movie you've watched

Every song doesn't have to change the world.
Every song doesn't have to be intelligent or witty.
Every song doesn't have to be your best.
We just need to keep trying.

:)

3 comments:

John Natiw said...

Hi Steve,
Thanks for the inspiring post. I completely agree with posting "fresh content" on this blog frequently. I love logging on and seeing new things to read/listen to.

I'm just back from a four day trip to see #1. I'll be back with more soon.
J

John Natiw said...

And btw... I do, indeed, have another one in the hopper. I actually wrote it between Rivers and All We Need Is Some Love. I've been reserving it due to lack of enthusiasm. But I'll post it soon. Doesn't have to be great, right?

Carry on,
J

sg said...

I've got a new one as well and I'll probably drop it this weekend for mp3 love.

I even recorded DRUMS for this one.