Thursday, January 25, 2007

Songs and Absenteeism

THE ENVELOPE SONG.mp3 [01.25.07]

Hey guys. It's me, your token lady... back from her truancy.

So maybe this month was a horrible time to plan on writing four songs. Oh well. Besides getting hideously sick and having a hellish week singing with the Indianapolis Symphony (the music was pretty, it was just the 25+ hours devoted in one week on top of working full time that killed me), things have been kinda rough with my family. My dad got diagnosed with diabetes this week, so I wasn't in the mood to write pretty little love songs. Maybe I'll write a song about my mortality, just in time for Valentines' Day.

So anyway, I sent my two songs to John tonight, hopefully they'll make it up here soon. One is the "Lay the Line," for which I posted lyrics below.

Also tonight I recovered from my flimsy memory a song that I thought was lost... what a great relief that was. Inadvertently I already did one of John's little exercises from below- it's pretty much all verse. There is a bridge, but it doesn't go anywhere, just back to the verse, so maybe it's more like an oasis.

Regardless of the road to get there, here are the lyrics for "The Envelope Song." Yes, I wrote it on the back of an envelope. The BGVs are a little canned sounding, but with my limited recording capabilities at the moment (I'll post a separate blog on this later) it's about as good as I can get. You can either use your imagination to flesh things out a little, or pretend it's the Carpenters. I'd be flattered, either way.

The Envelope Song
words and music by Liza Swart

She walks by the water
She walks alone
She walks like her father
So far away from home
So far away --- from home

He loves like a brother
He loves with his soul
He loves no other
The one who makes him whole
The one who makes --- him whole

Here we stand
Heart in hand
On golden stands
You understand
You always understand

Well love is our mother
Love is a seed
Love is a wonder
And yes, love makes us free
And yes, love makes --- us free


yeah kinda sappy but what can I say. So am I. ;)

THE ENVELOPE SONG.mp3 [01.25.07]

6 comments:

sg said...

My wife heard it and thought of early era Joni Mitchell.

And you ain't seen sappy yet!

:)

sg said...

Congrats on your second song!!
Hip hip...hooooraaaay!

John Natiw said...

Ok Liza, I've listened to this a half a dozen times now. I like this one the best of the two you posted recently. I'm a sucker for the droning D & G notes on the high strings. The pulsing of these notes is nice. Not wildly overdone (like I tend to do).

The lyrics are what makes this song for me though. The "love" ending is great too (of course I'd love that since I just wrote a whole song about it!).

Love is a wonder...

Indeed.

Congrats,
J

Liza said...

thanks guys! you're the best.

((dana)) said...

i think this is one of my faves so far. however, i AM (unlike everyone else) truly sappy. but antidisirregardless...it's wonderful.

sg said...

oh no you don't, jn. don't you go claimin' the "truly sappy" crown all to yourself.

i am a sap-leaking tree if ever there was one.

:)