Sunday, January 28, 2007

If We Keep On At This Pace...

...all active participants could easily have at least one albums' worth of material to sift through by year's end.

In fact, if you wrote two songs a month, you would have 24 songs to choose from! But even if you only averaged one song a month you would still have 12 songs (more than enough for a traditional 10 song album).

Just a thought.


I guess this presumes that anyone cares about the album format anymore.
Discuss amongst yourselves: Is the album dead?
Even if it IS dead, it can't hurt to get the songs out of your head and into the world.

Plus, you're working through three or four ok songs to get to that really good one.

1 comment:

John Natiw said...

I don't believe the album is dead by any means. If nothing else, the album is a traditional means of marking history for an arist.

I heard Jackson Brown say that he always liked the term "record". Each album being a "record" of events. A "record" of where the artist was at that point in life.

I've been trying to get into the studio with some of my material for over a year now. Perhaps subconsciously I've known all along that I wasn't ready. I've heard that some artists won't even think of going into the studio without at least two dozen songs to sift through.

Hopefully, by the end of the year I'll be ready. Attending the recent Ann Arbor Folk Festival was a huge inspiration, as you might imagine. The things some people will write about is amazing (and inspiring to me).

Thanks for the post Steve! Here's to having a couple dozen songs to sift through in a few months!
J