Friday, January 25, 2008

My Plan For Writing Fourteen Songs In Twenty Eight Days (Twenty Nine Really, But Who's Counting?)




So, I'm a teacher by day and musician all the time. I'm also a notorious note-maker and post-it stickerer.

I figured there's no way I'm gonna pull this "Write Fourteen Songs In Twenty Eight Days" thing off through sheer will power...so I've gotta have a plan.

Here are a few things I'm going to try and force myself to do over the process (I guess they're sort of challenges to myself):

1. Write at least one song using a tuning I've never used. (I might get 3 or 4 songs by doing tunings I've never done...maybe I'll just start turning strings until I get an ok sounding chord and then go for it).

2. I will try and not write any song on the same instrument two times in a row. I'll force myself to pick up the bass, or play a drum beat, or use just a loop...but I'm going to try and not simply record on my guitar, because that's my go to "crutch".

3. I will write at least one song by doing the lyrics first.

4. I will write at least one song by writing all the chords first.

5. I will write at least one song by singing only a melody and then placing chords on it. (I normally play guitar by myself and then sing along, so I want to try and break out of that to push myself a little).

6. I will write a song in the style of: (blues, jazz, metal, hiphop, rap, anything other than my standard rock/pop/folk).

7. I will try to write at least one missing song to The Sound of Music. (Not sure why, it just sounded like a funny idea, and I sort of know a few of those songs...my mom watched it ALL the time).

8. Take several other FAWMer challenges, because, ain't that the point of the whole thing anyway? :)

I admit that I'm a freak. I also spent a bunch of last night organizing my mancave/studio, setting up mics, instruments, etc. so that I could be ready at the drop of a hat if an idea came to me.

3 comments:

Nico said...

I'm also thinking that I have to do something similar to get these 14 songs out. In addition to similar tasks like yours, I'm also thinking along the lines of:

-- compose a song that my wife would sing about
-- compose a song that 2 sisters would sing about

etc...

Hopefully that will push me some.

-Nico

sg said...

Good idea! How are you doing on "See you fly"? That might help you get in shape for February.

:)

Glad to see you over at FAWM!

Maybe we can collaborate on a track too!

Nico said...

"See you fly" is going well... going to try to do a whole bunch this weekend.

I'd totally be down for some sort of collaboration for FAWM as well!

Talk to you later,
-Nico