Wednesday, January 16, 2008

But Can You Whistle It?




I guess melody IS pretty important. How many of us whistle the bass part for Can't Buy Me Love (which is, by the way, a wonderful bass line)? We whistle the melody. That's what sticks in our heads long after the song arrangements fade away.

How do YOU write a song? When do you write the songs melody? Here are a few thoughts on the matter.**

Forgive the pop-up ads.
Write Better Songs Part III
Writing Better Songs Part I (writing in major keys)
Writing Better Songs Part II (writing in minor keys)

This is a great site! Tips For Young Songwriters (but much of it is great for us slightly less young songwriters as well).

Here are a few of his tips on melody.
Tip #1: Use and existing melody to write a new song.
Tip#2: Elements of a melody.



**For the record...I can't tell you how many times I FIRST came up with a chord progression and then a melody. Many times I write them at the same time (singing into my favorite Radio Shack tape recorder.

2 comments:

sg said...

Test.

Tom Slatter said...

There are some really useful links there, thanks!

Like you, can't remember the last time I wrote a melody seperately from the basic accompaniment. I always write with a guitar in my hand, so it comes naturally.

I do think there's a lot you can do to improve a melody after that moment of inpiration though. And 'borrowing' ideas from other songs always helps!

www.songwright.co.uk