Saturday, September 15, 2007

Simple Math (Numbers Challenge Song Entry #2)



There's no prize. There's no glory.
But there IS a new song with a numeric theme in my collection that I don't hate.

I wrote this one with the low E dropped to a D.
My favorite chord is during the instrumental break I play my finger straight across all the strings at the fifth fret and then add my ring finger to the 7th fret of the G string and my pinkie (pinky?) to the 7th fret of the high E. It makes a nice little chord that I've never played before.

Yeah for me!

Here it is in all it's ragged glory. (If you hear or see a better title I'm open to it. I'm not so attached to it that it couldn't change).

Simple Math.mp3

Simple Math
c2007 Steven Wesley Guiles

One is a number that I'm thinking of
addin' on to
Two is a number indivisible
me plus you
Three now that's progress we've added one more
Are we a company yet?
Four that's where I had to lock the door
before we had one more to regret

(alternate last line-- I don't think I'll look back with regret)

Who knew simple math would be so hard to do?
Sub-tract add on until they say you're through
Count cruel numbers until your face turns blue
I always thought...that one plus one was two


One was the loneliest I'd ever been
till you moved in
Two now I think maybe we added wrong
let's do those numbers up again
Three was a trainwreck crashin' into me
Let's hope we can get it back on track
Four four four is walkin out my door
and never comin' back
(alternate last line—Excuse me while go and get her back)


Who knew simple math would be so hard to do?
Sub-tract add on until they say we're through
Count cruel numbers until your face turns blue
I always thought...that one plus one was two

One plus one was two
One plus one was two
Aaaaaaoooooooohh

1 comment:

docgoose said...

great stuff.

Enjoyed this alot

Liked the doubling on the voice. Great vocal. Good feel to the song. Feels like something I should be hearing in a movie. Great stuff.

Thank you so much for sharing.

Gene