Sunday, September 23, 2007

May the Nations Praise You (Psalm 67)



>>EDITED POST MATERIAL<<
Well, here's a revision based on a few ideas from fellow Apple contributor, Doc Gene.
I like it a lot better now! Thanks for the ideas Gene. I took it a few steps further...

Here are the revised lyrics, though not incredibly different, I changed many of the verses by removing one syllable/word to make the line match up with the original first verse melody. Here's the revised lyric and a newer recording:

May the Nations Praise You (Psalm 67)
Steven Wesley Guiles
revised on 9/24/09 with some ideas from Gene


Bolded parts were modified from the original lyric.
(syllables/number of notes sung)
May God show mercy and bless us (8/9)
His face shine with favor upon us (9/10)
Your ways shall be known throughout the earth (9/9)
Your power among your people to save us (11/12)

May the nations praise you, O God (8/10)
May the nations praise you, O Lord (8/10)

How glad the nations will be (7/9)
Singing for joy because you govern them with justice (13/13)
You guide the nations of the earth (8/9)

May the nations praise you, O God (8/10)
May the nations praise you, O Lord (8/10)
May the nations praise you, O God (8/10)
May the nations praise you, O Lord (8/10)

The earth will yield it's harvest (7/8)
And God, our God, he will richly bless us (10/10)
The people of the whole world (7/8)
Will know his works and fear him (7/8)
The ends of the earth will fear him. (8/9)

May the nations praise you, O God (8/10)
May the nations praise you, O Lord (8/10)
May the nations praise you, O God (8/10)
May the nations praise you, O Lord (8/10)


One of my greatest inspirations is the Bible, in particular, the book of Psalms, basically the early songs of the Jewish people for congregational worship. I've always associated with King David in his desire to be close to God regardless of what others think, even to the point of foolishness (and nudity). :)

So, I'm going to let my leaves fall where they may, and place one of this song of worship here.

It's almost a direct quotation of Psalm 67 (New Living Translation). I was pleasantly surprised at how well it fell into the melodic pattern I'd come up with.

After looking at the lyrics, I think it might flow smoother to remove a few syllables in the second line (get rid of everywhere in the 4th line). Thoughts?

May the Nations Praise You.mp3 (version two)

May the Nations Praise You.mp3 (original)

May the Nations Praise You (Psalm 67)
Steven Wesley Guiles

May God be merciful and bless us
May his face shine with favor upon us

May your ways be known throughout the earth
Your saving power among your people everywhere

May the nations praise you, O God
May the nations praise you, O Lord

How glad the nations will be
Singing for joy because you govern them with justice
You guide the nations of the earth

May the nations praise you, O God
May the nations praise you, O Lord
May the nations praise you, O God
May the nations praise you, O Lord

The earth will yield it's harvest
And God, our God, he will richly bless us
And the people of the whole world
Will know his works and fear him
The ends of the earth will fear him.

May the nations praise you, O God
May the nations praise you, O Lord
May the nations praise you, O God
May the nations praise you, O Lord

photo by spoon.

4 comments:

docgoose said...

No disrespect here.

but I sort of see this place as a site to just bounce stuff around.

I know the concept is to do a word for word, but if you are considering changing some then why not some more.

I know that this is overboard, but what the heck. Here is a slightly different version.

If I have offended you by doing this I apologize, but I am just having fun and if you don't wnat me to do this kind of stuff just let me know. I am the low man on the totem pole around here and I mean no disrespect.

If the spirit moves please feel free to mess with my stuff also

:)



May God be merciful and bless us
May his face shine with favor upon us
May your ways be known throughout the earth
Your saving power among all of us

May the nations praise you, O God
May the nations praise you, O Lord

How glad the nations will be
Singing for joy as you govern them with justice
You guide the nations of the earth
Spreading your love among us

May the nations praise you, O God
May the nations praise you, O Lord
May the nations praise you, O God
May the nations praise you, O Lord

The earth will yield it's harvest
And our God will richly bless us
And the people of the whole world
Will know his works and fear him
The ends of the earth will fear him.

May the nations praise you, O God
May the nations praise you, O Lord
May the nations praise you, O God
May the nations praise you, O Lord

docgoose said...

Oops,

I wouldn't have taken time to write this stuff if I wasn't totally impressed with it. Great work and great originality in finding that rhythym to pull that all together. It works.

I like how you double that voice in the chorus and that is the same thing you did in the last song. WHat are you doing to make that happen?

sg said...

Gene,

First, I asked for the input, so I appreciate you're givin' it.

:)

No offense taken. None was given.

Second, I'll need to sit down with my guitar and try those verses...it definitely is a smoother rhyme, I guess I was really trying to use the verses as close to possible as they were written. But, I also took some liberties, so I think I may look into trying the other words.

The double you hear is exactly that...I just sing the part again. When I sing my double I tend to not sing the ends of phrases (the hard sounds like "f" "d" or even "s"s). This makes the double sound more "on" and the fact that I sing it again gives it a slight chorus-y effect that I really like. (Inspired by Elliot Smith, R.I.P.)

I like the changes. If I get time, I will try and implement them. Simple, but maybe a good solution for making the song more structured (as a song).

Thanks!

Steve

docgoose said...

Very cool, Cobain had the ability to nail those doubles like that. Thay sounded so on that I thought you were doing that with some effect.

You got chops!

Gene