Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Song is in the Air...



This post came about as I sat around the other night and reflected on a great live gig at a coffee shop (originally posted on my Wordpress Blog). The difference, though, was that I had been obsessing (as I am wont to do) over a particular song for about a week. I finally got to play it out the other night and as I wrote this blog entry, I played the song over and over to see what would happen. It ended up being more than just a "post-show blog entry"....


*presses play and reflects on a great evening*

Well, it’s “fare thee well”, my true love
The song is in the air

I hear the West calling
See what’s for me there


This song, The Open Door by Darrell Scott, has been “in the air” all week. I’ve been playing it daily, just like right now. I’ve been humming it in the shower and waking up in the middle of verses in my mind. I catch myself staring out the window at work hearing the melody. Tonight it’s the soundtrack for my blog entry. Playing on repeat, helping me to remember…
Some travel in the darkness And rest upon the shade Some wrestle with their demons And face them unafraid

Musicians travel in the darkness quite frequently. I’m no different I suppose. We rest upon the shade of the evening. Wrestling with our demons, we take the stage unafraid. We exercise whatever ills cumber us about. By performing for you we become liberated. We become free. And, hopefully in some small way, we free each other, even if only for a few hours.

We argue for our better selves
We only ask for more

We take the mirror from the shelf

And find the open door

Find the open door


Like Oliver Twist, we ask for more, but not in a materialistic or greedy sense. We try to improve our craft every time we perform. Hopefully make that connection with you a little stronger this time. We take that mirror from the shelf and try to break down the distinction between performer and listener, searching for the open door. Jiggling doorknobs… that’s what we performers do. Hoping someone lets us in.

I love you with a fever
I love you with a past

My heart is a keeper

As long as it will last


Tonight wasn’t about the music at all. There was love in the room tonight. For over two hours it flowed back and forth between us. From where I sat, tonight was a keeper, for sure. You listened, talked, sang, ate, drank, swayed to the music and interacted with each other and me. For as long as it would last…

Sitting here a few hours later, I remember each one of you. I see your faces. As I sing, you talk, eat, drink, laugh, smile and sing along. Tonight I am grateful for the songs that I write, the songs others write that I am able to learn and sing and the folks who came out to be a part of this evening. These “shows” are not about me or you. What are they about?

As long as it will last
I’ll tell you what I know
We walk this road together

And we walk this road alone


From where I sit tonight, it’s about a group of people walking together with one another for a few hours. I’ll tell you what I know… we spend too much time in this life walking alone. Once in awhile we connect to one another. Music helps us do that. Thanks to everyone who came out tonight for taking a little musical walk with me.

Until next time…

“Fare thee well”

John

January 23, 2009

1 comment:

MusicianPromote said...

I hope you can still update your blog. Looking forward to more updates about your music.

Online Music Promotion