Friday, June 27, 2008

Steampunk, Melodicas, and Dub Reggae, Oh My!


Well, it's funny how things turn out, isn't it?

I started this month (well, last month) with the intention of writing three Steampunk-themed songs, and having a grand unveiling upon this very website. However, in attempting to pin down the genre of steampunk in a musical style, I seem merely to have chased it away. Instead, this month has produced two pieces of music that I shall share with you.

The first MP3, entitled "Further", began as a Steampunk piece. I figured that acoustic guitars and organs would have a lot of interplay in times where steam ran amplifiers, and so I set about attempting to create a cathedral-like space in which an acoustic guitar gave way to an almighty organ (fnarr, fnarr). What happened next, I'm not entirely sure - it may have been the fact that I've been listening to a lot of Porcupine Tree lately - but the time signature became slightly off-kilter, the bass became busy and the structure more epic. Add in an organ/electric break and you get something which I'm actually very proud of.

The other thing I want to share with you this month is an experiment, brought on by the fact that I obtained a melodica. Firstly, I love experimenting with the flow of an album - songs which, unless you look at the track number, you aren't certain are new songs. Secondly, melodicas are big in dub reggae.

Yeah, I can tell you're worried now. But it's okay.

Anyhow, this track begins with a hard cut and an Am chord. That means that any other song that ends on Am could, in theory, be hard cut at the last note and segue into this one. To play with flow even more, this track transitions into a straighter rock piece - now that, I'm not finished writing. You get a little taste of the verse riff at the end of all the dubness.

Whew. On to next month - and 50/90!

MP3 1 Further
MP3 2 Dub Experiment

No comments: