Sunday, November 18, 2007

Trying to See the Sound



Now that I have a few songs in my suitcase, I've really started to think about recording these things for real. While being away for awhile hunting I took the opportunity to begin to think about my "sound palette". You know, the "colors" that will make up my sonic painting. When I write, the palette usually consists of an acoustic guitar, main vocals and maybe some harmony vocals. Occasionally I'll add something to the mix, but that's pretty standard.

Over the past few years my sonic palette hasn't really been important or obvious to me. Recently, I've begun to see my desired sound more clearly. LeAnn Rimes said in a recent interview in American Songwriter Magazine that she made a mix CD for her producer to give him an idea of what she was looking for in her sound. I thought this was a great idea, so I began to look through my music collection for the "sounds" that I've been inspired by. After getting down to a short list of songs (not necessarily artists), I sat down and listened. Over and over again. Why do I love these songs, sonically? What instruments are playing? Where are they positioned in the sound field? What types of instrumentation and mixing fits the type of songs I write?

Here's a little bit of what I've learned the past few days. I'm a sucker for a few specific instruments when combined properly. Also, I have some very specific and different ideas about drums and percussion and how they should relate to the song (well, MY songs, at least). I actually took it so far as to make a list of instruments I would love to have on my CD someday. Here's that list with a few observations about each choice:
  1. Acoustic Guitar - This will be the bread and butter of the sound. Sometimes it may be the focus of the song, other times in the background as a scratch track. Also, combinations of Acoustic Guitars (posssibly capoed) could be great.
  2. Piano - Sometimes there's nothing like a few well timed chords from a piano to anchor an idea in a song.
  3. Slide Guitar - High soaring sounds. Adds atmosphere.
  4. Bass - Upright if possible.
  5. Cello - Adds low end acoustic flavor.
  6. Mandolin - Adds high end acoustic flavor plus a little country.
  7. Violin/Fiddle - A lead instrument.
  8. Drums - Sparse, but with a purpose when used. Not overly busy. Pocket.
  9. Percussion - Usual shaker and tambourine, but other non-conventional sounds as well when effective.

So, there it is. The beginnings of my sound palette. Now all I need to do is find some folks who can actually PLAY all these instruments!

Write on,
John

4 comments:

sg said...

OOoohhh! Darn you and your well-thought out posts that make me realize I need to start thinking about MY sound palette too!

How do you decide? Where does it begin?!

I like the sound of so many different recordings!

Seriously, this is not an easy task. I like aggressive recordings. I like pretty acoustic recordings. I like heavy metal recordings.

Granted, I'm not going to be making a heavy metal recording, but I am conflicted about which way to head.

Other things to consider:

Who are you targeting with this release? (It sounds so business-like, but it's important to know your audience, right?)

What am I trying to say with this recording?

What are my intentions for this recording? How much/little will it be publicized? Will I spend any money on advertising? Will I tour at all to support it?

(I ask these questions of myself, but throw them out to be digested as well).

I've released 2 little e.p.s at my last two shows. They were burned songs of demos that didn't totally suck. It was fun to have something different at each show, but I sure would like to do something that sonically kicks butt.

Dang it, John. We may need to change the direction of the blog for 2008 to a more "recording all those songs you wrote in 2007" blog. Then in 2009 we can go back to a "writing all these songs that we'll record in 2010" blog.

I am a freak. I'll end here.

swg

John Natiw said...

Dude, you totally are a freak, but I love it.

You ask some good questions. I struggled with this too. Like you, I love so many types of recordings. But, in the end, I had to be honest with myself about a few things.

First, my abilities. If I'm being honest with myself, I realize that the type of recording I finally do will be somewhat shaped by my abilities as a musician/singer. I would love to record a very simple and tasteful folk recording, but I just feel like I have more to say, musicially. And I'm just not sure yet that my acoustic guitar and vocals will say it by themselves.

Second, my ability to reproduce the songs live. This is a tough one. Don't even ask me where I'm going to get a mandolin player or chellist. But a guy can dream, can't he?

Third, the types of songs I write. This was the clincher. As much as I like U2, Shinedown and Dave Matthews, I realized that I was never going to pull ANY of that off. I'm just a guy that writes some pretty simple songs. Songs that could possibly be very cool with a little additional acoustic treatment.

This is like therapy. The more I talk about it the clearer it becomes.

Out.
J

sg said...

One thing I've not worried about as much is the "Can I reproduce this live?" question. The reason being I don't expect or even necessarily want my music to be exactly the same...or else why would anyone want to come and see me?

That said, I also don't want to see a bluegrass version of my favorite heavy metal band or vice versa...although that COULD be very interesting.

I went jogging this morning. Me and my iPod. And I suddenly was listening to the each song in a very different way. I was hearing the sounds and locations of the sounds in the sonic spectrum. THEN I was figuring out how I would pull each of those recordings off. Could I?

Just like you I love u2 and many other bands, but I'm pretty sure I'll never create the chemistry u2 creates, so I'm going to need to focus more on the musical styles that are within my reach (and budget!)

Elliot Smith certainly comes to mind...

Joy and I certainly attempted to emulate Over The Rhine in many aspects when we first recorded...sometimes unsuccessfully and once or twice we were close.

Too. Many. Possibilities.
Must. Narrow. Them.

:)

John Natiw said...

First of all, don't tell me you "jog". Jogging is something you do to your memory to remember something. You were running. There's a difference. But I digress...

Reproducing a CD sound live is important, but I think people will get over it if I show up by myself and play my stuff live solo. Kim Taylor and other like her can do it... ya know? That said, I don't want to have a recorded sound that is so far removed from what I play live.

I agree with finding a musical style that is within your reach and budget, but, like I said, I think much of the decision comes from the songs themselves. When I listen to my songs I may not know exactly what they are, but I definitely know what they aren't. Not sure if that makes sense.

As far as certain musicians/acts... I tried to shy away from saying "I like artist X or artist Y". Instead, I selected songs I really liked SONICALLY. I chose based on instrument selection and the way they were put into the mix.

Hopefully, but moving forward in this way, I'll be able to combine all these sound colors in a way that is uniquely mine.

And wouldn't that be a hoot?
Out.
J