Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Let It Go

This one has been a tough one for me. I sorta wrote the entire song in a silent testing room and then had to figure out the melodies, etc. I just knew I wanted the chorus to be a little sweet, and sour at the same time (if that makes any sense).

I actually JUST started feeling like I have a little idea of what the verse melody is, but it is definitely a work in progress.

This song has so perplexed me that I actually wrote a song that is partially about my frustration with this songwriting experience.

I would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions on this one. If anything sticks with you or rubs you the wrong way. Hopefully it does a little of both.

Sweet and sour baby!

Let It Go.mp3

Let It Go
words and music by Eric Shouse

You’re the light in my corridor
Don’t know what else you’re looking for
We’ve been having this conversation, and you’re nowhere to be sound

You collect and hold on
Your treasure is like a tomb
The vault’s become a grave and you’re becoming a slave

Let it go… (Let it go and fall with me)
Let it go… (Let it go and crawl with me)
Let it go… (Loose your grip and feel the wind)
Let it go… (… no more, it digging in your skin)
Let it go

They’ve been nothing but cold to you
Don’t know the traders (traitors) they sold you to
All because you see in dreams what is right before their skies

They can’t hear the truth through its clarity,
never been sick with fidelity
You give and you give and you give and give and give and give again


Let it go… (Let it go and fall with me)
Let it go… (Let it go and crawl with me)
Let it go… (Loose your grip and feel the wind)
Let it go… (… no more, it digging in your skin)
Let it go


You’re the light in my corridor
Don’t know what else you’re looking for
We’ve been having this conversation, don’t know any way around

I am the stop in your drain
But I just couldn’t make it rain
Guess my dance can’t measure up and all the water’s drying up

We’re the branch that I’ve clung to
After all that we’ve been through
Wish it never had to stop and I’m frightened of the drop
Hope the angels break your fall and I’ll miss you most of all

Let it go… (Let it go and fall with me)
Let it go… (Let it go and crawl with me)
Let it go… (Loose your grip and feel the wind)
Let it go… (… no more, it digging in your skin)
Let it go

2 comments:

sg said...

I LIKE IT! I know Eric and this is different and new direction for him. (Plus I can tell he's playing with all his new toys...is that the amp AND the guitar?)

Lots of cool melodies.

I actually wished I could have heard more of that intro guitar sound (on the "sounds" side of stuff).

I listened to it several times and liked it more as I listened repeatedly. Good. Just like a good Radiohead album. :)

Thanks for posting, E.

John Natiw said...

Hey Eric,
I know you posted this song awhile back (back when I went "dark" for the summer...).

The intro guitar is very catchy. I dig the "grundginess" of it. As usual, your vocals are great. You have a great vocal sound and style.

Nice backing vocal layers. Well done. The keys near the beginning of the chorus are a nice touch. Not too much. Just a different sound.

The different guitar parts compliment nicely. Good recording technique.

I find myself listening less to the actual lyrics of this one than the sounds.

Great song. Sorry it took me so long to check it out.
J