Monday, March 31, 2008

Pressing Onward!


photo by Melanie


Wow. So, in February I wrote about 20 songs...in March, I think I've written 1. Ok. So, there's been a slowdown, but I'll be honest and say there's no way I could maintain that pace unless I was a full-time songwriter. I'm always THINKING of song ideas, but in February I took a much more active role in chasing those ideas down until they were fully formed (at least, as far as basic structure was concerned).

Pressing onward. My goal is to take this mass of songs and DO something with them. I want more people to hear them in a more finished form, so I've started the process of rerecording and have even had the privilege of passing on some tracks to be mixed by a fellow musician.

I hope to have a 5-7 song E.P. to release for this summer. I realize that during this process I have to redirect my limited time and songwriting energies towards perfecting rather than towards creating. This is neither good nor bad, it's just what I'm gearing myself to do for now. I have to admit that it's a difficult transition because in my mind I FEEL like I should be writing more more! MORE!!! but I know that my brain would explode if I didn't stop and reflect and refine.

So, here comes the refining.

Stay tuned.

5 comments:

Nico said...

hey Steve, sounds like we have similar goals... I'm also deflating from some of the FAWM madness and haev slowed down "create" mode and am on "try to perfect" mode! I'm also hoping for some sort of EP/LP in collaboration with my wife who also participated in FAWM. So far, I have finished one track completely and I have started another couple. I heard your Eddie-Vedder re-do, nice job!

Cheers,
-Nico

http://marketingfromtheheard.wordpress.com said...

Holy crap...twenty songs in a month...

Even one song a month is not a bad pace if you can sustain it for twenty years....

....and if the songs are really songs and not little noseblows that you will forget completely and would be embarrassed to be reminded of.

Funny, for years I had no lyrics in me. I had written a couple of hundred songs, but now there was nothing to say, unless I was going to say, "Okay, kiiiids. I'm married now...we've got a son son son and he is lots of fun..."

Then I started dreaming about writing songs about the Roman Republic...how the heck can you write about the Roman Republic...and
then the songs started coming.

I think when you put your mind and focus and intention on a thing, it will start to happen for you. They say we are connected to the "Superconscious" realm. Well one way to get the stuff from there is to demand it and expect it.

It will start to flow for you.

I like Move On...cute modulation.

Tom St. Louis
http://www.gmsiamovie.wordpress.com

sg said...

Thanks. Most of the songs I wrote in February were good (a few were "dogs"). I now have a wealth of material from which to work on a recording.

http://marketingfromtheheard.wordpress.com said...

Does anyone make a distinction between a song and a ditty and a piece of merde?

I was in Ireland the other year, and a pal and me wrote a song in fifteen minutes. We both did it.

I have never performed that particular piece, he said.

Does anything qualify?

Tom St. Louis
http://www.gmsiamovie.wordpress.com

sg said...

Tom,

Does "who" make a distinction? Who are you referring to?

I think a song is a song. It can be a ditty of less than a minute and it can be a full blown chorus verse chorus verse bridge chorus type song.

And what do you mean by qualify? Are you referring to this site?

If so, read the first post (located in the upper-right hand corner of this website.